Yes. You can resolve your family property matters after separation by agreement, either in the form of Consent Orders or a Financial Agreement.

This can, and commonly does, occur before a divorce application is made. Divorce only arises for married couples.  You can apply for a divorce after 12 months of separation, but you do not need to apply.  Many separated couples never obtain a divorce.

If you can resolve matters by consent, you do not need to apply to the court. However, if you cannot reach an agreement, your time for filing an application to the court for property adjustment orders will expire – in the case of married couples, 12 months after a final divorce order is made, and in the case of de facto couples, 2 years after the relationship broke down.